Why should you earn the Certificate in Added Qualification (CAQ) in Headache Management from the National Headache Foundation?
- Validation of a level of expertise in headache management to be recognized by your colleagues and patients.
- Possibility of more patient referrals.
- Enhanced credibility and the personal satisfaction of providing your patients with the best possible care.
- Recognition of skills when dealing with managed care and government agencies.
To be eligibile for the CAQ competency examination, candidates must be a licensed healthcare practitioner who can evaluate and manage headache patients independently, including physicians (M.D. and D.O.), physician assistants, advance practice nurses, dentists, and psychologists. The candidate’s license must be in good standing. Each candidate must provide documentation of three or more years involved in headache management.
You can sign up to receive the application package or call 1-888-NHF-5552. This will contain the general application and information about the examination structure and location of testing sites.
All fees for the examination are in U.S. dollars.
Provided the early postmark deadline is met, the examination fees are:
NHF members: $600
If the application is received between the application postmark deadline and the late application deadlien, a late fee of $75 will be charged. Late fees are:
NHF members: $675
Maintenance of your Certification
Certificates of Added Qualification in Headache Management are valid for five years after receipt. To maintain the certification, the health care provider has two options:
Submit documentation of 60 hours of headache-related educational units through a curriculum accredited through ACCME or an equivalent nursing CEU accrediation body. The CME/CEU credits may be accumulated over a five-year span.
Reexamination at the end of the five years.
- You will receive a plaque designating your certification.
- A sample announcement will be provided by the NHF to assist you in alerting your local media outlets and professional societies that you have received the credential.
- Members of the NHF who receive the credential will be acknowledged in the “Healthcare Practitioners Finder” section on our website, which lists professional members of the NHF.
- Announcement of CAQ recipients will be included in the current issue of HeadWise, the NHF’s quarterly magazine.